Tuesday, February 14, 2012

secure

When I moved into my house 7 years ago as a single woman, my daddy worked very hard to make sure that my house was secure. He installed new doors and locks with double key deadbolts, new windows, rewired the house, etc. It is so secure in fact, that I have locked myself out on numerous occasions. I had to make sure early on that strategic individuals had keys to my house to come to my rescue when I was locked out - invariably when I'm running late to somewhere.

For the past 6 years, I have had increased security at my house. My loving husband is very dedicated to the safety of "his girls" He is constantly checking locks and making sure our house is safe. I've accused him many times of OCD the way he checks the locks every morning and night.

This morning we were introduced to a new level of security. As he does every morning, Sweet Husband took my purse, keys, school bag, and phone out and started my van. He even loaded up all the valentine supplies that we had prepared for Anna's class and my class. He normally takes Emily to daycare, and I take Anna to preschool. Today was rare in that he left before I did. As his usual safety mind did, he locked the deadbolt on the way out the door.

The disadvantage to this sweet gesture is that Anna and I were inside the house with no key to get out. When you are locked out of your home, there is a distinct sense of panic. When you are locked IN the house, it's an entirely new level of panic! I turned the house upside down to no avail trying to find a key to get out. Since I’ve had to keep keys in so many places to get in, there were none in the house to get me out. Fortunately, I did get a hold of Gabe to come let us out of the house. There will be a key party tonight at our house to make sure all keys are in the right places INSIDE the house, and now that we are out of confinement, we’ll all have a good laugh about how only in our crazy life could we be locked inside of our own house. J

No comments:

Post a Comment