Friday, January 27, 2012

My Dad is a super hero - no really, he is!

First let me say that not all of my posts will be incredibly deep and insightful - sometimes I just like to share the "adventures" of raising my daugthers


My dad is a super hero. Like most daugthers who have good dads, I think my dad is the best. I used to think of him as invincible. When I had to watch his life hang in the balance several years ago at a Columbus hospital, I realized, for perhaps the first time, that my dad was human. However, that didn't change his wonderfulness - he became even more precious to me when God worked a miracle and allowed us to keep him a little longer.

I know my dad probably isn't perfect, but I adore him and always have. Kathy does too. Even as married women, we know our Daddy is the real knight in shining armor who will always be there to rescue us to the best of his ability. Several years ago, when I was on my "I'm never getting married" soapbox (go ahead and take a moment to laugh - especially those who know how hard and fast I fell in love with Gabe!), I used my dad as an excuse: if daughters married men like their dads, I could never get married because no one could ever hold a candle to the man my dad was.

Now, while Gabe is not entirely like my dad, he shares traits with him that make him a wonderful man, and he's working on his Super Hero Daddy status in life. :) Like my dad, Gabe is compassionate, loves his family, and is strong in his convictions.

Kathy and I have always been classic daddy's girls. We were his princesses. He would right every wrong for us if he could. Until the first granddaughter came along . . .

Now don't misunderstand me, I still adore my dad, but the day my daugther was born, I was dethroned as daddy's princess. Anna is the be all, end all. Poppaw's Princess. Poppaw's girl.

And like we have always thought, Anna thinks her Poppaw is the best. There is nothing he cannot do. However, she takes this to a new level.

Poppaw is the best playmate ever. He chases, plays hide and seek, goes on safaris, dresses up, pushes on swings, takes walks - you name it, he does it.

If anything at our house breaks, her Poppaw can fix it (and usually he can!). She added to this last Christmas when she worried how Santa would get into our house with no chimney. Her solution: Poppaw would build her one! I shared the conversation with my parents and we all had a good laugh. I thought the matter was dropped until my dad set out on a mission to build her a pretend fireplace. We called and/or visited every story between here and Columbus to find just the write template for it. When a bulletin board set was found, my dad set to work. He built her a styrofoam fireplace complete with a chimney and an insert for the fire - because it wouldn't be realistic otherwise. Anna was thrilled. Poppaw did exactly what she knew he could do. That wonderful creation will continue to be a Christmas decoration staple at my house for years to come.

As Emily gets bigger, I am certain she will feel the same way about her Poppaw. She already adores him, and there just isn't enough Poppaw to go around when it's time for our Sunday dinner at Mom & Dad's.

Anna's newest development - if she has pink Barbie mouthwash, she should have blue mouthwash with Ken on the front. (I don't even pretend to know where she comes up with this stuff!) When I told her we couldn't buy it because they didn't make it, she proudly informed me that her Poppaw would find it and buy it for her. Of this, I have no doubt. He'll find a way to present her with blue Ken mouthwash :)

Because she is the queen, and my dad really IS a superhero.

No comments:

Post a Comment